Sunday 26 April 2009

Perfect F1 Experience: BBC & Tweetdeck

I've just watched the fantastic Bahrain Grand Prix and thoroughly enjoyed seeing a great win by Jenson Button, along with a solid performance by Lewis Hamilton. The BBC coverage was fantastic, particularly the Red Button interactive features.
It was also the first time I've really used TweetDeck. I installed it a few days ago and really liked the ability to have a persistant search coloumn. What I didn't like was the notification pop-up. I use twhirl on a day-to-day basis and like the way that I can set it to show each tweet in the notification so I don't have to pull up the application window. TweetDeck only shows a summary - "3 new notifications", so I have to pull up the window each time to read a tweet. For this reason I've decided to stick with twhirl.
Today though, whilst watching the Grand Prix I used TweetDeck a bit differently. I turned off updates, so as not to use up API calls and kept twhirl running as usual. I then used TweetDeck purely for searches. I wanted to follow tweets with the #f1 tag, and being a Hamilton fan wanted to follow #Hamilton too. I set up two search coloumns, one searching for each tag.
This gave me a rolling update from thousands of people, and really helped me keep up to speed with the race. People on twitter caught things that the commentators missed, and expressed some interesting (and sometimes humorous) comments.
Will definately be doing it this way again, the only problem is getting Sundays off work!

No comments:

Post a Comment